Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 178, 2012 Not all symbols are equal: my use of the comma





I realised that I don't write always in the same manner. I have ways of writing that depend on the situation and the context of my writing. I write with much deliberation when I write a blog- this one or any other one. I write with care and make sure that all is clearly written to get the message across to myself and others. Yesterday I realised that I write sloppy when I am in chat or on skype, or in emails where I am communicating with a colleague about a project. I don't put much care into making sure that the sentence is phrased in the best possible way, or that I use the comma. In fact, in these situations I consider the comma as expendible. I see it as an attribute that I can do without. I justify this with having to type fast and permit myself to strip the comma from my sentences.

However, as we all know a little comma here and there can change the meaning of a sentence, and writing without a comma makes a sentence difficult to read for someone else. It creates obstruction in the communication flow when the other has to stop to decipher what is being said. The comma is the written indicator for a break when we speak, when take a breath we place a comma in writing. We don't string words one after the other without pausing, we pause deliberately. 

I stop my habit of neglecting the comma in specific situations, and realise that I have programmed myself in this way. The program I have accepted as me reflects one of those details that we allow ourselves to exist as and which eventually accumulate and create consequences. By standing equal to my comma, I stop creating ambiguous sentences and make my communication flow at all times - and so I will do what I would like to receive: communication where I, as the reader, am considered when another communicates with me. 

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that commas are lesser symbols when I write and that I have an option to leave them out when I decide to do so.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be directed by time, where I believe communication goes faster if I shortcut the marks on the screen needed to communicate.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realise that all communication has to be equal for me to be equal, and that I cannot be more or less equal depending on the context.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have always been aware of my resistance to using commas in specific contexts but have never realised that my choice to use or not use the comma in this manner affects my communication.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have positioned myself in superiority over the symbols and marks of language because I believe that I know well enough how to write and use them effectively.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to make assumptions about how well a sentence is written for me to read it and understand, but to not consider any other reader besides myself when I write to communicate with others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not slow myself down and stop making time an excuse for my actions.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realise that my neglect of comma usage is rooted in self-interest, in the memories that I have build up and which direct me instead of me directing me in what I allow and accept to be me.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realise that details like the way I use the comma in the various situations of writing are important to understand from the perspective of self-honesty, because all that ever counts is the content here in one breath- that is all I can every be.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realise that I have been taught to overlook the details of how I interact with the world around me because as a society we have decided that those details are insignificant, and that it's most important to be goal-oriented and focus on the big things in life.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to look for shortcuts in my writing not realising that shortcuts are a sign of our society where we cut ourselves off from each other.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to recall that when I learned to write the alphabet other symbols such as comma, semi-colon and so forth were treated in separation which led me to believe that they are of lesser importance to overall communication.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to give written symbols a value - and thus exist in polarisation with the visual depiction of language.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realise that a comma represents a written breath and in that I am not recognising the importance of breath in my existence.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realise that when I exist in equality as the written symbols of language, no judgement and thus no value attribution is necessary.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have to see the consequences, namely misunderstandings and non-understandings, to address this point in self-honesty.

I commit myself to stop the belief that there are valid shortcuts at any level of my existence.

I commit myself to stop judging situations in which I communicate through writing as needing more or less effort in making sure that what I am saying is clear and succinct - and treat every situation of communication equally.

I commit myself to continue to investigate the flow of my communication to uncover all inequalities that I accept and allow to exist when I write.

I commit to integrate the comma and all other symbols that are used in written language as equal components when communicating in writing.

I commit myself to stop all excuses which I used to justify my behaviour, no matter what level of detail.

I commit myself to continue to investigate myself in self-honesty until each word that I utter or write is the living word. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © . Is life possible without the mind? - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger